Food Handler Card FAQs
Does School Food Handler LLC Offer Online Training to obtain a Food Handlers Card for All States?
We currently offer online food handler training courses that are accepted by health departments that recognize ANSI accredited certificates. Please check your local health department regulations for more information.
How long is the training? The duration of the online course varies depending on the Food Handler Training course you choose. Online training programs for different states and counties have different requirements.
Do I have to complete the training all at once?
No, you may start training and review a few chapters, log out of your account and resume your training at a different time. All your progress will be saved.
When will I get my Food Handler Card?
You will be able to print your Food Handler Card immediately after you finish the training and pass the exam. In some cases, you may be required to bring your printed food handler card to the local health department to receive a food handler card issued by them. Please check with your local health department for specific instructions.
I need to get my Food Handler Card but I do not have a computer, what can I do?
Our course is accessible via cell phone, tablet or other device that has access to the internet. If these are also not available, here are a few other suggestions to complete your training:
- Go to your local library – computers are available for use to the public.
- Ask a friend if you could borrow their computer for a few hours.
- Talk to your employer about using a computer at work.
What if I don’t have a printer at home to print my Food Handler Card?
If you don’t have access to a computer with a printer, you can still take the training online and, once you have passed the test, we can mail a printed copy of your Food Handler Card for an additional fee of $15. Many students also choose to email the certificate to a friend or family member that has access to a printer.
I am a Food Manager or employer and would like to pay for my employees’ training. What training options are available?
We offer group discounts for the online training course. As an administrator of an account, you are able to monitor the progress of each one of your employees and have access to their Food Handlers Card. For more information, please call 1-888-838-1550.
What is the difference between a Food Manager Certification and a Food Handler Card?
Though terminology may vary depending on the state or county where you work, the Food Manager Certification usually refers to a more advanced, more comprehensive type of training that is mainly designed for owners and managers. In California, for example, the Food Manager Certification designates a state requirement mandating that at least one employee or owner per food establishment passes an accredited food safety examination, whereas the Food Handler Card refers to a less comprehensive training that is mandatory for all employees who come in direct contact with unpackaged food.
Other states, however, use the term food handler certification to refer to the food manager certification. For information specific to the state you work in, please contact your local health department.
What are the System Requirements?
You will be able to easily navigate the course as long as your computer meets the following requirements:
- Hardware – Either a Personal Computer (PC), Macintosh, smart phone or tablet with internet access.
- An E-mail Account – If you do not have an email account you can setup a free account on Google in less than 5 minutes.
- Internet Connectivity – A high speed internet connection via Wi-Fi or LTE is recommended for best quality viewing.
- Web Browser: You can use any of the following browsers and the indicated version.
- Google Chrome Browser (recommended) – Click here to download for free.
- Mozilla Firefox Browser (recommended) – Click here to download for free.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
- Adobe Flash Player – The latest version of Adobe Flash Player can be downloaded for free by clicking here.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader – Click here to download the latest version for free.
- Speakers for the online course’s audio are optional but recommended.
- A printer is recommended, since you will need to download and print the Certificate of Completion for the Food Handler Card Training. There are options above for solutions when a printer is not available.