Last updated on January 26th, 2020 at 06:41 pm
Need Your Illinois Food Handlers Card?
Click the register button now to get your Illinois food handler card before the price increases!
” Best investment I have ever made! “
School District Director / Madison School District
ILLINOIS FOOD HANDLER REQUIREMENTS
- ALL food Handlers in Illinois are required to obtain a valid Food Handler Card within 30 days of their hire date.
- This is a MANDATORY requirement statewide for food handlers employed in both restaurants and non-restaurants.
- Food handlers employed in restaurants are required to obtain certificate from an ANSI – accredited provider.
- Food handlers employed in non-restaurants (primarily schools, health care and day care facilities) are not required to obtain their certificate from an ANSI accredited provider, but must still be able to provide proof of training upon request by the health department.
- Food Handler Certificate must be obtained from a program accredited by ANSI (American National Standards Institute).
- FoodHandlerSolutions.com is an ANSI accredited provider of Food Handler Online Training.
- Individual counties may have additional requirements and/or fees ranging from $15.00 to $20.00. The local health department should be contacted for more information.
- It is advised that all persons wishing to obtain their Food Handler Certificate check with the local health department for any additional requirements.
- Some counties may require proof of legal residence or the payment of a supplemental fee to issue a county food handler card.
- All the following apply –
- Certificate expires every 3 years and must be renewed
- A physical certificate is required
- Participation in a training class is required
- Classroom or On-line class participation is acceptable
- Class and exam duration is not specified – Average is 1 to 2 hours
- ANSI accredited Certificate is required for all staff working in a restaurant foodservice facility