Last updated on July 28th, 2022 at 06:06 pm

Need Your Michigan Food Manager Certification?

Now offering all online training courses with an in-person, proctored manager examination at one of our 1,500 nationwide testing centers

Click the register button now to get your Michigan Food Manager Certification before the price increases!

Register Here, Now!

If you are looking for an affordable, fun and easy online food manager certification course, you are in the right spot. Get your Michigan Food Manager Certification by clicking the button below.

Provided By:

” So affordable! I definitely recommend Food Handler Solutions! “

Erin Bronner

School District Director / Creighton School District


State Regulations Many Michigan food establishments must employ at least one certified food manager. The Michigan Food Law allows the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD) to issue statewide variances. We highly recommend checking with your local health department for any additional certification and training requirements.
Certification Exam Mandatory
Approved Certification Exams Always Food Safe
ServSafe and Prometric
Food Safety Training Requirement No
Certificate Renewal 5 years
Additional Requirements No


Do I need to have a certified food protection manager employed before I open my business?
Yes. New foodservice facilities are required to have a certified manager when opening.

Are there minimum hours of training to acquire the Food Manager Certification?
Taking a training course is not required but it is highly recommended. The only requirement is to successfully pass a food safety exam from an accredited provider like Prometric or ServSafe.

Which food facilities are excused from the food safety certification requirement?
A certified manager will not be required for the following:

  1. Low-risk facilities as described in the current “MDA Risk-Based Evaluation Schedule”. Low-risk facilities are described as facilities that meet the following description:
  • Provide or sell only raw or pre-packaged, foods that are not potentially hazardous (nontime/temperature control for safety (TCS) foods).
  • Do not make potentially hazardous foods (TCS foods).
  • Only heat commercially processed foods that are potentially hazardous (TCS foods) for hot holding.
  • No cooling of foods that are potentially hazardous (TCS foods).
  • Prepping/processing and/or packaging food that is not potentially hazardous only.
  • Storing food that is not potentially hazardous and/or pre-packaged potentially hazardous foods.

Examples: Some convenience store establishments, convenience stores serving precooked hot dogs or sausages, popcorn, nachos, pretzels or frozen pizza.; hot dog carts, and coffee shops; cocktail lounges; theaters; nut kiosks; honey and maple syrup processors; most bakery establishments; candy, snack, pasta, spice or other non-potentially hazardous company, bottled water manufacturer; food storage facilities.

  1. Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, senior congregate nutrition satellite sites functioning in compliance with Michigan Office of Services to the Aging principles, where food is not made ready but only served on-site and prepped in a licensed kitchen that has a full-time certified manager employed.

Does the Certified Food Protection Manager need to be present at the food establishment at all times?
The certified food protection manager is not required to be present during every hour of operation. Although, the certified manager should be considered a full-time employee with the establishment.

What is the definition of a full-time employee?
As defined in the Manager Certification Rule – Regulation 570, a full-time employee is an employee that works an average of at least 30 hours per week or 75% of the running hours if the facility is open and operating less than 40 hours per week. More than one part-time certified food manager can be used to satisfy this requirement. Call your inspecting food agency to find out if your hours of coverage by the certified food managers are meeting the requirements.

Do grocery stores need to have a certified food manager?
Only stores that are considered to be an “extended retail facility” or that encompass a “food service facility” will be required to have a certified manager employed according to section 289.2129 of the Michigan Food Law 2000. Extended retail facilities serve or prepare unpackaged food for direct consumption and provide seating areas for food service.

What training do you provide in Michigan?

  • Online Food Manager Training: A self-paced training that is online and incorporates different learning experiences such as graphics, audio, and cooperative learning exercises. This is a very effective learning program.
  • Online Study Guide: A study guide (20+ pages) that covers the major FDA food theories. This study guide also encompasses the Top 10 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and two practice tests. All of these are done online.
  • Food Manager Exam: The test is conducted online via the Always Food Safe Company which is ANSI accredited and recognized by state and county health departments.

State Seal

Michigan State Seal

Now Offering a Completely Remote Examination

Click Below to Get Started!

Testing Center Exam Provided By:

Remotely Proctored Exam Provided By: