Last updated on October 1st, 2020 at 12:07 am
Need Your Michigan Food Manager Certification?
Now offering all online training courses with an in-person, proctored manager examination at one of our 1,500 nationwide testing centers
Click the register button now to get your Michigan Food Manager Certification before the price increases!
” So affordable! I definitely recommend Food Handler Solutions! “
School District Director / Creighton School District
Michigan FOOD MANAGER CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
|State Regulations||Food service facilities are required to have at least one employee in a manager position who has been certified under an ANSI approved food safety certification program.|
|Approved Certification Exams||ServSafe and Prometric|
|Food Safety Training Requirement||No|
|Certificate Renewal||5 years|
Do I need to have a certified food protection manager employed before I open my business?
Yes. New food service facilities are required to have a certified manager when opening.
Are there minimum hours of training to acquire the Food Manager Certification?
Taking a training course is not required but it is highly recommended. The only requirement is to successfully pass a food safety exam from an accredited provider like Prometric or ServSafe.
Which food facilities are excused from the food safety certification requirement?
A certified manager will not be required for the following:
- Low risk facilities as described in the current “MDA Risk-Based Evaluation Schedule”. Low risk facilities are described as facilities that meet the following description:
- Provide or sell only raw or pre-packaged, foods that are not potentially hazardous (non time/temperature control for safety (TCS) foods).
- Do not make potentially hazardous foods (TCS foods).
- Only heat commercially processed foods which are potentially hazardous (TCS foods) for hot holding.
- No cooling of foods which are potentially hazardous (TCS foods).
- Prepping/processing and/or packaging food which is not potentially hazardous only.
- Storing food which is not potentially hazardous and/or pre-packaged potentially hazardous foods.
Examples: Some convenience store establishments, convenience stores serving precooked hot dogs or sausages, popcorn, nachos, pretzels or frozen pizza.; hot dog carts, and coffee shops; cocktail lounges; theaters; nut kiosks; honey and maple syrup processors; most bakery establishments; candy, snack, pasta, spice or other non-potentially hazardous company, bottled water manufacturer; food storage facilities.
- Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, senior congregate nutrition satellite sites functioning in compliance with Michigan Office of Services to the Aging principles, where food is not made ready but only served on-site and prepped in a licensed kitchen that has a full-time certified manager employed.
Does the Certified Food Protection Manager need to be present at the food establishment at all times?
The certified food protection manager is not required to be present during every hour of operation. Although, the certified manager should be considered a full time employee with the establishment.
What is the definition of a full time employee?
As defined in the Manager Certification Rule – Regulation 570, a full-time employee is an employee that works an average of at least 30 hours per week or 75% of the running hours if the facility is open and operating less than 40 hours per week. More than one part-time certified food manager can be used to satisfy this requirement. Call your inspecting food agency to find out if your hours of coverage by the certified food managers are meeting the requirements.
Do grocery stores need to have a certified food manager?
Only stores that are considered to be an “extended retail facility” or that encompass a “food service facility” will be required to have a certified manager employed according to section 289.2129 of the Michigan Food Law 2000. Extended retail facilities serve or prepare unpackaged food for direct consumption and provide seating areas for food service.
How Would You Like To Take The Exam?
Go to a testing center or take it remotely with your computers webcam.
Testing Center Exam Provided By:
Remotely Proctored Exam Provided By: