Click Here To Play Article
This post was most recently updated on June 17th, 2018
Last updated on June 17th, 2018 at 06:05 pm
How about 10 really simple steps to happiness – Right Now!! Sound too good to be true?
So many of us cling tightly to things that bring so much stress, pain, and frustration into our lives. I am going to share with you 10 things that I realized in my life were holding me down and keeping me from being my best. Things that were obvious to those around me but that I was blinded to but once realized and released changed my life and my relationships ALL for the better.
Here are my “10 Simple Steps to Happiness” –
- Embrace that you are not right every time. There are so many of us who can’t stand the idea of being wrong – wanting to always be right – even at the risk of ending great relationships or causing a great deal of stress and pain, for us and for others. It’s just not worth it. Whenever you feel the ‘urgent’ need to jump into a fight over who is right and who is wrong, ask yourself this question: What difference will it make? Is my ego really that big?
“Would I rather be right, or would I rather be kind?” – Wayne Dyer.
- Let go of what you cannot control. Be willing to give up your need to always control everything that happens to you and around you – situations, events, people, etc. Whether they are loved ones, coworkers, or just strangers you meet on the street – just allow them to be. Allow everything and everyone to be just as they are and you will see how much better will that make you feel.
“By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go.
But when you try and try. The world is beyond winning.” – Lao Tzu
- Stop the “Blame Game”. Give up on your need to blame others for what you have or don’t have, for what you feel or don’t feel. Stop giving your powers away and start taking responsibility for your life.
- Stop hating on yourself and believe in you. Oh, my. How many people are hurting themselves because of their negative, polluted and repetitive self-defeating mindset? Don’t believe everything that your mind is telling you – especially if it’s negative and self-defeating. You are better than that.
Give up your limiting beliefs about what you can or cannot do, about what is possible or impossible. From now on, you are no longer going to allow your limiting beliefs to keep you stuck in the wrong place. Spread your wings and fly!
“The mind is a superb instrument if used rightly.
Used wrongly, however, it becomes very destructive.” Eckhart Tolle
- No Whining, Complaining or Criticizing. Give up your constant need to complain about those many, many, many things – people, situations, events that make you unhappy, sad and depressed. Nobody can make you unhappy, no situation can make you sad or miserable unless you allow it to. It’s not the situation that triggers those feelings in you, but how you choose to look at it. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.
Give up the luxury of criticism. Give up your need to criticize things, events or people that are different than you. We are all different, yet we are all the same. We all want to be happy, we all want to love and be loved and we all want to be understood. We all want something, and something is wished by us all.
- The only opinion of you that counts – Is yours!. Stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not just to make others like you. It doesn’t work this way. The moment you stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not, the moment you take off all your masks, the moment you accept and embrace the real you, you will find people will be drawn to you, effortlessly.
“A belief is not an idea held by the mind, it is an idea that holds the mind” – Elly Roselle
- Change is a part of the journey – Embrace it. Change is good. Change will help you move from A to B. Change will help you make improvements in your life and also the lives of those around you. Follow your bliss, embrace change – don’t resist it.
“Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls” – Joseph Campbell
- No more excuses. Send them packing and tell them they’re fired. You no longer need them. A lot of times we limit ourselves because of the many excuses we use. Instead of growing and working on improving ourselves and our lives, we get stuck, lying to ourselves, using all kind of excuses – excuses that 99.9% of the time are not even real.
- Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is just a promise. Live life in the now. I know, I know. It’s hard. Especially when the past looks so much better than the present and the future looks so frightening, but you have to take into consideration the fact that the present moment is all you have and all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for – the past that you are now dreaming about – was ignored by you when it was present. Stop deluding yourself. Be present in everything you do and enjoy life. After all life is a journey not a destination. Have a clear vision for the future, prepare yourself, but always be present in the now.
- Follow your dreams and to heck with what others expect of you.Way too many people are living a life that is not theirs to live. They live their lives according to what others think is best for them, they live their lives according to what their parents think is best for them, to what their friends, their enemies and their teachers, their government and the media think is best for them. They ignore their inner voice, that inner calling. They are so busy with pleasing everybody, with living up to other people’s expectations, that they lose control over their lives. They forget what makes them happy, what they want, what they need….and eventually they forget about themselves. You have one life – this one right now – you must live it, own it, and especially don’t let other people’s opinions distract you from your path.
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.” – Robert Frost