Last updated on July 28th, 2022 at 05:56 pm
Need Your Illinois Food Manager Certification?
Now offering all online training courses with an in-person, proctored manager examination at one of our 1,500 nationwide testing centers
Click the register button now to get your Illinois Food Manager Certification before the price increases!
” So affordable! I definitely recommend Food Handler Solutions! “
School District Director / Creighton School District
Illinois FOOD MANAGER CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
|State Regulations||Establishments must always have at least one certified food manager on hand at all times. Otherwise, you could face penalties.|
|Approved Certification Exams||ServSafe and Prometric|
|Food Safety Training Requirement||Eight hours of training from a state-approved course.|
|Certificate Renewal||5 years|
|Additional Requirements||$40 certificate is payable to the Health Department (IDPH or City of Chicago, depending on business location). *The City of Chicago fee is included in our certification packages.|
How can I get my certificate?
To obtain a Food Sanitation certification in the state of Illinois, you are required to:
- Complete a state-approved eight-hour Food Service Sanitation Manager course
- Successfully pass a state-approved exam (score at least 75%)
- Pay the $40 certificate fee to the Illinois Department of Public Health or the City of Chicago (this is for the issuance of a local certificate*).
The State of Illinois requires all Food Safety Certification training to be supervised by a certified administrator or instructor from the program. *The health department fee is included in our City of Chicago program packages. However, students employed outside the City of Chicago are required to attain an IDPH certificate by submitting an application through the IDPH website.
Do I need to have a Certified Food Protection Manager employed before I open my business?
Yes. New foodservice facilities should have a Certified Food Protection Manager from the starting date of operation or should provide documentation showing enrollment in an approved course which should be completed within three months. Foodservice facilities that are not in compliance with this due to employee turnover must employ another Certified Food Protection Manager within three months.
How long is my Certified Food Protection Manager Certificate valid?
The certificate will be valid for five years from the issue date. You will be required to renew it after five years.
I was certified in a different state. Is my Food Protection Manager Certificate valid in Illinois?
Only the Illinois Food Safety Sanitation Manager Certification (IL FSSMC) is considered acceptable by local health departments. The reciprocity procedure is only for those with authorized City of Chicago certificates and those that took courses outside of Illinois. Anyone taking the courses as training and exam in Illinois must work through an approved instructor in Illinois.
Are any facilities excused from the Certified Food Protection Manager requirement?
According to Category III in the Illinois Food Code, some establishments are excused from this certification requirement. These are establishments where:
- Only pre-packaged foods are made available or served by the establishment, and any potentially hazardous foods are commercially pre-packaged in a processing plant;
- There is limited handling of non-potentially hazardous foods and beverages, such as snack foods and beverages; or
- Strictly beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) are provided at the establishment
What training do you provide in Illinois?
- Online Food Manager Training: A self-paced training that is online and incorporates different learning experiences such as graphics, audio, and cooperative learning exercises. This is a very effective learning program.
- Online Study Guide: A study guide (20+ pages) that covers the major FDA food theories. This study guide also encompasses the Top 10 Tips to Passing the Food Manager Exam and two practice tests. All of these are done online.
- Food Manager Exam: The test is conducted online via the Always Food Safe Company which is ANSI accredited and recognized by state and county health departments
Now Offering a Completely Remote Examination
Click Below to Get Started!
Testing Center Exam Provided By:
Remotely Proctored Exam Provided By: