This post was most recently updated on September 26th, 2018
Last updated on September 26th, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Need Your New Jersey Food Manager Certification?
Click the register button now to get your New Jersey Food Manager Certification before the price increases!
New Jersey FOOD MANAGER CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
At least one individual in charge in Risk Type 3 food facilities must be a certified food protection manager by successfully passing a food safety certification exam overseen by an accredited program recognized by the Conference for Food Protection.
Approved Certification Exams
ServSafe and Prometric
Food Safety Training Requirement
- Every two years when taking an approved food safety training course that does not need the successful passing of a test.
- Every five years when taking an approved training course that requires the successful passing of a certification test.
How does a food manager become a Certified Food Protection Manager?
An individual may become a Certified Food Protection Manager by successfully passing an exam administered by an approved Conference for Food Protection institute such as Prometric and ServSafe.
What is a Risk Type 3 food facility?
A Risk Type 3 food facility means any retail food facility that:
- Has a wide-ranging menu that requires some handling of raw foods; and is involved in the intricate preparation of menu items that may include the cooking, cooling, and reheating of at least three or more foods that are potentially hazardous; or
- Prepares and provides foods which are potentially hazardous including the handling of raw foods; and whose main service population is a highly susceptible group of individuals.
- Such facilities may include, full service restaurants, diners, commissaries, and catering functions; or hospitals, nursing homes, and preschools prepping and serving foods that are potentially hazardous.
When does the Food Protection Manager Certification expire?
The Food Manager Certification expires five years after the issue date. Check with your local health department for more information on certification renewal.
Does the Certified Food Protection Manager need to be present at the food establishment at all times?
At least one individual in charge must be a Certified Food Protection Manager and should be present during every hour of operation.